Nov 7, 2010

I BELIEVE THE CHILDREN ARE OUR....whatever

This pass week, I've had to convince many people that I love and adore children. Those of you that know me, know that that involved some Academy Award winning performing. I don't hate children, I'm just not their biggest fans. Well it turns out teaching kids is lucrative here in China and the kids tend not be snotty ass brats like you find VERY often in the States.

I have a demo class tomorrow with some 4 year old. I have to impress the principal who will be giving me thumbs up or down and perhaps not kill the children. I'm a little nervous. I want to work for Scholastics (yes that's Scholastics!!!)

Any and everyone is looking for English teachers. My other interviews(5)were "quick and dirty" as Jake says. They ask you 8 questions and you're done. This is not a merit based society for sure. They like you or they don't for whatever rational/irrational reasons. We'll see if any of them call me back...

I'm still keeping all of my options open, sort of.
For example, I went to an interview today with a huge expat company Austen Morris Wealth Management Firm. 100% non Chinese, they don't hire Chinese of any kind. I'm sure some money laundering is happening with the "handling of off shore accounts and managing wealthy clients". Considering I'm looking for teaching jobs, I did not go into this interview with my A game. They were looking for a Business Development Director and somehow ended up with my resume. Whatever. Mr Very Large British White Guy whose name escapes me, was selling (interviewing) me on the position. I humored him...for about 15 minutes. I then asked him if this position involved "cold calling". He said yes and that you can make a lot of money here, because its commission based. I smiled and said "I hate to say it, but I'm not a good fit for this position." He graciously thanks me for my honesty and proceeds to go down some strange memory lane about "when I first moved to China...blah blah...now I'm making real...blah blah..." I kept thinking that I might as well hang around, not like I have a job to get to or anything to do today. The reception was keeping the lattes coming, so I couldn't really complain. He was an interesting fellow and the lattes were delicious. He ask me again if I was sure about the position because "you are very personable". I laugh and said like an asshole, "of course I am, but not over the phone. I don't do call centers". Mr Very Large British White Guy apologizes to me for taking up my valuable time and thanks me for coming. He begrudging walks me to the elevator, gives me a handshake and his card. I thought he was going to try and hug me because I listened and talked with him. (I'm not even kidding)I told him that I will add it to my Rolodex (do people still use those?) and that it was nice meeting him. I get on the elevator and started laughing loudly at how ridiculous I was for coming to Shanghai and having the balls to turn down (not like they really offered it to me) that job.

I will not have any regrets because "I believe the children are our future...blah blah blah"

Jake's gone to the States...lots of time to do some thinking on my own. oh boy

No comments:

Post a Comment