Feb 25, 2016

My real life Thai Insurance commercial moment

I'm not sure if you all are familiar with those long Thai insurance commercials that tug at your heartstrings and make you cry. Watch it, be prepared, you've been warned. Anyway, I totally had a moment in Bangkok recently that reminded me of those commercials.

My apartment is near an open vegetable market that opens before Jesus wakes up (at the crack of dawn) until just minutes before 9:23 am (I'm guessing because they have somehow miraculously cleared out by the time I'm there at 9:25 am) My landlady showed me this market once and I try very hard to go there, but you know that getting up early thing.Not my cup of tea. Still not a fan turns out of early early mornings. One of my elderly neighbors has seen me at the market and decided she'd show me the ways of politely haggling in Thai. I am so grateful for this because now when I show up they're like "oh you're that Farang (foreigner) with Khun (Ms) "I cannot pronounce her name". They give me her local "discount". I'm not sure how this works, but I neither question it nor complain. My lovely neighbor even once showed me a shortcut to get to the market through our complex, which saved about 10 mins and having to pass a smelly bridge area.

I missed going to the open market for something like 2 or 3 weeks (during that "cold winter snap" 70 degrees in Bangkok) because I wasn't feeling well. I wasn't seeing my neighbor very often also. I opened my door one morning and bananas where tied to my front door. I was so happy because I really wanted some fruit but I missed going to the market and I didn't have time or energy to go to the grocery store. It happened 2 more times when I caught her one morning putting the fruit on my door. She smiled and probably said something like take better care in Thai, because I'm still not excelling at speaking Thai as much as I would like. #seriouslifegoal.
I thanked and Wai'd her. I said, in Thai, I was doing very very good. She pat me on my arm and walked down the stairs. I don't know exactly which apartment she lives in, but I always see her around.
I was told later that she asked the coffee shop girls (young girls that help/force me to practice Thai with them) if they had seen me, because of course I'm always at the coffee shop that I can throw a rock from my place and hit it....I have a problem, I know. She also asked the market vendors I go to if they had seen me and what my favorite fruit was. My landlady said she had asked her if I was ok and the landlady told her I just had a little cold because of the weather. My landlady is the greatest and helps all the time also.

So it was very heartwarming to know, be reminded, that if were to go missing that someone would miss me. I seem to have guardian angels everywhere I go. #myownthaicommerial

Anne with an "e" in Bangkok



No comments:

Post a Comment