Apr 15, 2011

What the hell was I thinking

Leave it to a kid to shake the foundation of a grown ass persons ego.
This week in my classes we discussed 'adjectives'. Because I'm trying to be
creative and "engaging" with the 3rd graders, I thought talking about Teacher D would be a good activity. "Class describe Teacher D"...silence. "What words do you think about when you see Teacher D" (loosely translated to students with Chinese teacher assistant) The following is a short list is what came about:

*tall (i laughed at this myself)
*nice(they speak the truth)
*funny(they are smart)
*clever (they were buttering me up at this point)
*big hands (it goes downhill from here)
*fat(chinese teacher assistant tried desperately to explain 'full-figured'...huge fail)
*beautiful(this kept me from crying)
*thin (me:"I thought I was fat", students: "you are, but thin too")
*small ears
*huge head (what!!)
*lovely (cold heart is warming again)
*white teeth
*big legs (I need to run to the gym right now)
*big eyes (seriously?!?!?)
*big mouth (...)
*pretty in dresses (I cannot argue with this)

Needless to say I regretted the activity immediately after starting. I asked a few students to come to the board and draw the person (creature) they thing is being described(supposedly me). We analyze the animals-human hybrids that were drawn.I ask them "You think Teacher D looks like this?", while pointing to the monkey spaceman drawing. They laughed and said no.

There is no need to worry about me being too full of myself. I have about 100 kids reminding me weekly that I am almost about average...maybe.

Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment