Aug 22, 2011

Countdown to Showdown came faster than expected

After 2 weeks of the kids being productive (not going to hospitals or hurting themselves) and on a decent schedule, Hairong returned. She came back with Alisha and her daughter Solange. Hairong thought she would bring her for a visit to talk to her about business (Alisha's husband builds hotels and Hairong thought she could get the wife on her team to push the husband *rolling eyes*)...NO. Turns out Alisha is a tiger mom that works with her daughter and is INVOLVED with raising her. Alisha wanted to talk education. Alisa is a French/Chinese teacher that values a good solid education. She was not aware of the shit storm she was joining when she came.

Countdown begin

5...Because everyone arrived late to the compound, they all just went to bed. I get up and go to wake up the kids so we can all walk to the market and get bread...I walk in the main house to the kitchen and Charlotte is eating from a newly open jar of Nutella (directly with a spoon) I ask her "what are you doing? are you trying to die?" she replies "mama said its ok" Hairong tells me "its fine, its fine. she's young". Jacques and Pierre look like trucks have run them over. I asked them why do they look so awful. They tell me that their mom kept them up all night talking about how much money she made while waving bricks of cash at them. Also yelling at them that she doesn't want or need kids. I shake my head and tell them "i'm sorry"

4...We sit down to have breakfast, I'm in the process of making coffee. Hairong starts 'selling' her idea of this hotel. Alisha smiles and says, in what I know realize was a condensending tone, "oh, that sounds nice" Alisha turns to me and ask "so how are the children in school". I start explaining to her that their level isn't where it should be and that they will need to work hard in whatever school they're going to. She tells me that Hairong wants to put them into a Swiss and American school. I told her "they would not pass the test to get into any of those school". Hairong said "they need to work hard, you are too soft on them. So about the hotel...needs programs, blah, blah, blah" I half-heartedly chime in with the researched I'd done and explained my "east to west meeting at the sea". Hairong went on for about an hour just talking...I left and said its time for the boys lesson. Hairong said "oh today we're going to beach where President Sarkosy vacations". I say...ummm ok. We swim all day. The kids find a playmate, Solange 13 years old, and they are happy. I'm happy they can play with someone their age. Hairong eventually thinks this becomes problematic because Solange is cute 13 year old girl that speaks Chinese, French, Taiwanese, Italian, English. She has opinions, has seen a lot of the world and her mom doesn't treat her like a prisoner. Hairong doesn't hesitate to tell Alisha that Solange shouldn't be behaving like she is. Alisha smiled and said "this is how 13 years old are".

3...After a day of Hairong antics and yelling fits we return to the compound. Hairong says Alisha and Solange would stay in the house with me. I'm glad because I feel like someone is going to sneak into the house and kill me every single night. Its too damn big. Alisha asked if she could talk to me. I said sure. (my 'please share your thoughts on this situation' sign was brightly lit) We sit down and have tea. She looks at me and says "Are you fucking kidding me?" I almost choke on my tea. She's this little petit Taiwanese lady that speaks great British English/Chinese/French. She begins her story of how she became involved with the family. Hairong sold some helicopters to her husband, but they've not had time to do anymore business ventures. A month ago Hairong TOLD her husband that he can be Jacques godfather and to take him. Alisha's husband said ok, but I need to talk to my wife. Alisha said "I've never met this woman and when I did, I did not like her" Hairong apparently saw how well Solange was doing at school and thought, "ok they can raise kids and they have money..."
Alisha tells me that they (meaning family father, mother, daughter) have worked hard to get Solange where she is now. She says "the boys English, French and Chinese are not very good". I told her they don't have a native tongue. They've changed schools every year or every other year. I'm gotten them tools to work on pronunciation and trying to get them to read more for vocabulary and grammar understanding. I admitted that I'm at a lost because Hairong doesn't agree with my methods (i.e using a computer EVER for ANYTHING) Alisha told me that she is very stubborn. She asked how long I've been with them and how could I stay for so long. I told her that we've gone to a handful of places around France, but she doesn't like taking the kids ANYWHERE. I've taken them out more than their mother has in the past year. Alisha said 'You need to leave. I feel like she's looking for someone to blame for her kids failure". I naively and WAY over optimisticly tell her "its only 7 days left, it will be fine" We talk about the different education systems and I tell her all the countermoves Hairong has given me with every lesson I give the boys...amazing
We talk for 3 hours and she says "we're not staying her a week. we're going back to paris. you should come with us." I thank her and tell her "its ok, I'm a big girl" little did I know.

2...Alisha, Solange, and myself wake up and go for a walk. We come back to yelling and breaking sounds in the house. Hairong found the PSP I help the boys get. (we put a english/chinese/french dictionary on it, because Hairong doesn't think its important to have one around at all times. we put a vocabulary builder with flash cards and pronunciation practice on it, SAT practice quizzes) Hairong saw Pierre with it and went Ape Shit. She threw away their Dell laptop (its about 4 years old and barely worked, thats why I thought the PSP would be better even though their mom has every Apple product under the sun...she doesn't know how to use them), she threw away their itouch, headphones, etc, etc. Anything that was made in this century was taken from them and destroyed. She became satan when they said the PSP was from me (she didn't break it). We came into the house and she ask Alisha, Solange and myself if we could leave them alone for a few minutes. I tell her "I can show you the receipt of the PSP if you like" She rolls her eyes and said "no, just take it. maybe its time for you to go"

1...Hairong then proceeds to ask Charlotte what we did when her and Alain were away. 'SHIT HIT THE FAN' Charlotte story: Danielle forced us to go to mall and made us play games and eat McDonalds. She made us go to the game store to play. Jacque and Pierre didn't study. We had to ride a bus and it was scary. She didn't let me eat sometimes. She was bad to me cause I went to bed hungry. She made me eat cake.
The real damn story:
I took them to the mall because Charlotte said she wanted a Barbie for her birthday and the damn SMURF toy from the happy meal at McDonalds. We went to fnac (book and media store) to get her some ABC, 123 books in french and english FOR CHARLOTTE. While we were there I saw the PSP was really cheap and asked the boys if they knew how to use this as a dictionary blah, blah, blah. Charlotte played the DS 3D and threw a fit when I didn't get it for her. We went to the grocery store so that I could bake a cake for her silly ass because they've 1) never had a birthday party or 2)birthday cake. Its the least I could do considering their parents don't give a shit about them...for serious. We buy the Barbie. I tell the boys that can each get on thing. They get a tshirt and underwear. (they were things their mother wouldn't let them have and I know they were eyeing them for awhile now) We go to McDonalds to get the toy. Charlotte wants to eat there. We eat fish sandwiches and split 2 fries amoung us. I bought some small snacky foods to take to the beach and we walk to the beach. Hangout there a little bit and take the bus back. ...THATS IT.
Hairong says she doesn't want me teaching her children anymore and that we weren't suppose to leave or ride buses...Alisha looks at me and says "What?!?!?!?". I tell Hairong "you seriously believe Charlotte?". She just looks at me and I smile. Oooooh kay. I go back to the house and start packing my things. Alisha says "where are the kids friends? she really wants them to stay on these grounds all summer" I look at her and say "these kids can have no friends and there is no one to rescue them and their mom is crazy. Who the hell listens to a 6 year olds word over an adults...Fuck this I'm out of here" Alisha brought a very good point to my attention. Hairong was brought up during the Cultural Revolution and many of them have no idea about education. Mao Zhedong way of learning was study by sitting alone with a book, pencil and paper. No friends no nothing. Alisha said "I'm strict with Solange, but damn. I've never seen a Chinese mom THIS crazy, selfish, and irrational". She asked what I was going to do. I told her I don't know. She said that her and Solange where leaving the next day and that I should call and let her know that I'm ok...God bless that woman.

I then called Agnes (the 1st ex-wife of Hairong's dead husband that Hairong hates) and said "Hello, this is Danielle". Agnes "Ah, I'm happy to hear your voice. I was expecting your call."

1 comment: