Aug 5, 2011

“Why is my mom crazy?”

This is what Jacques, the 14 year old, oldest son came to my house and asked me a few days ago. All I could think about was “don’t you want to know about sex, or where babies come from, or what our existence in life is all about?” These are questions I can and would rather answer. You cannot tell a 14 year old that his mother is money crazy and insane. If I’m not mistaken, these are very fragile times in their lives…so I’m told. Plus I was 14 once too. (long time ago) Thankfully he only wanted to vent his frustrations about tiger mom’s most recent phone call yelling session. She calls every few hours to let Alain and the kids know that she is working hard on buying, selling, making money and that they are all pretty useless people. (I really wish I was exaggerating…) She sends me emails telling me to keep up the good work. (I have no idea what this means or why she does this) I’m not sure if she and Alain are competing for worst/craziest/richest parent awards or what. Alain doesn’t make a move without calling/texting her. I get paid every 2 weeks and I asked Alain if Hairong wants me to wait till she gets back or what (honestly I almost forgot a few times because they pay for everything) was the plan. I was quickly brought to reality when I was looking for apt and so many places are looking for 4 months up front. Security (1 month) + rent (3 months) + agent fee (35% of 1month). I’ve thought a few times “why on earth did I come to France. Even if tiger mom is paying me, it’s not that much?!?!?!” I come to my senses and think ‘this is a once in a lifetime opportunity…stop bitching’. So Alain says “oh yes I will give you your salary, not a problem” I also tell him that “I only got half salary the last 2 times” He looks around confused and says “oh ok, Hairong didn’t tell me that”. I say “maybe she forgot”. AMAZING!!!! I’ve roughly calculated how much money I’ve seen tiger mom spend. 3 houses bought + 1 helicopter + 1 or 2 boats + 1 house sold + million Euro shopping spree in Paris + all the things she’s bought for the houses (it’s a restoration hardware meets Florida coast style. I can’t even explain it) = you can pay the English teach the 300Euro you are SUPPOSE to give her without her reminding you. Don’t get me wrong I’m not bitter or angry. I am dumbfounded. She’s bought me a few things so I don’t feel like being a pest, but give me a break. Buying ME things that YOU like (some of them I like too) isn’t the same. Jacques knows my frustration with his mother and therefore finds comfort in telling me HOW crazy she can be. I don’t sit around and mom bash with him. I just listen. He tells me that Charlotte is being taught that her brothers are small insignificant men and they can’t tell her anything. (Which is one of the reasons Charlotte and I are in a fight right now) Alain and Hairong treat her like a fun toy prize. She can speak like an adult in French and Chinese, but she can’t read or write in any language (that’s just unacceptable). I’ve watched her “perform” at dinner parties and it’s so disturbing. I’m starting to believe when Pierre told me “they only wanted a girl child and now they don’t want to bother with her education.” Jacques told me that he’s tried to sit down with her to help her but she tells him “Fuck off. I have more money than you and you can’t tell me anything” (Said in Chinese) I witnessed it a few times. I’ve banded her from my house because she thought it was cute to talk to her brothers like a lil sailor in from of me. I told her, via Pierre’s translating, I have no need for bad/rude/mean girls around me. I am a nice person and I like nice people. She went and told Alain. Alain asked her what did she say for me to say what I said…she replies “nothing, danielle hates me and I hate her.” I’m sure if I had a parenting bone in my body I would be more reasonable with her, but I don’t so I won’t. She has no one around her telling her when something is wrong and because she’s cute she thinks it’s ok to do really shitty things. I told Jacques to tell her “I’m cuter and I can be meaner. I will not tolerate awful children”. Since tiger mom said conveniently that she “couldn’t assist me with my visa”, and not paying me as agreed. My patience disappeared.
No worries though, I’m still enjoying myself. I’m doing phone interviews (maybe not a good idea) and job/apt searching everyday by the beach. I adjust well to situations and circumstances. It was looking out for number 1 in the beginning and still is.

No comments:

Post a Comment