Sep 23, 2011

Pretty package

Contrary to popular belief, I'm not the perfectly (you what know what I mean) put together person I thought I was...well according to some folks here anyway. I'm becoming more and more nostalgic of the events that occurred this time last year. Nervous as hell moving to another country, looking for a job, worrying about visas, housing, money...blah, blah, blah. Sound familiar. Well it should, because its “China Headache 2: the Remix” I'm wondering every single day whats the point and I am quickly reminded that this is “a once in a lifetime experience”. I need to take advantage of this chance. That's that.
I just got off the phone with one of the 12 agents that have made it some sort of fun challenge to get the Black American a job. Bradley, is his name, told me that he's sending ME a copy of MY “augmented CV” for me to start using and sending out. He told me he “fixed it” and made it “worth” looking at. He requested I find a picture of myself with some white people to send out. (how I wish I was joking) I should preface this with the fact that Bradley is a midwestern looking white guy from Cincinnati and has been in Asia for over 3 years. So know that FOR SURE, he is my favorite agent helping me look for a job. He knows EXACTLY how ridiculous he sounds to me when he requests ABSURD things from me (i.e. pics with 1 or 2 white people in a classroom type setting) He gets more upset about my rejections, due to skin color issue (if you get my drift) than I do and he seems to be very honest about everything I ask him about. For example, I've called him about job postings I've seen or heard about to see if he could do some re-con on...he replies “I'm on it” or “well the thing about that place is...”
Even if Bradley doesn't find me a job, its good to have someone on my side. He reminds me often, that I CANNOT take this personal. My friends here all seem confident that I will find something because I'm American, but I don't think many of them understand that I am not the pretty packaged “American” that’s wanted sometimes. If I had the funding, I'm sure I could do a very interesting Sociological Experiment/Research on this, but alas no market or real interest for that here. Which has bought me to another realization. Mental hygiene isn't an easy industry to push in China. Attempting to life coach to prideful, arrogant, rich, infallible human beings seems crazy. The more people I see as potential clients for my wonderful life changing idea/program...the more I see attempted murder cases on my hand. You can't change peoples value systems and I would never never want to try. But if you value “winning” and “boasting” about how much power you have and what you HAVE...you are a lost cause from jumpstreet.
I want to help people find ways to get more out of life than the material factors. I want people to see that quality can be more profound than quantity...Bootleg central is not ideal for this little experiment. I need to think more on how I can/will achieve what I want.

Until next time...

always Anne with and 'e'

No comments:

Post a Comment