Oct 3, 2011

Yup, thats about right

So I signed a contract with a new English training kids “school/center/business” in Shanghai. They said they will “get me a visa” and “take care” of important paper work for me. The guy that recruited me promised many things(i.e. 20-30hrs per week, flexible schedule, visa, housing allowance, blah, blah, blah)
I get to the school:
*No kids
*The “other english teachers” don't speak english very well or AT ALL
*I am the only English speaker/teacher with any experience
*My 1st schedule...I work 9 days straight. About a 40 hour week (Did I mention the no kids part?)

Apparently I'm not only responsible for teaching the kids (whenever they come), teachers and other staff at this 'New' school, but I am also in charge of convincing the parents and kid that “THIS TRAINING SCHOOL/BUSINESS IS THE BEST AND YOU SHOULD STUDY/BUY CLASSES HERE”
Hilarious...I know.

We have 'public classes', 20 to 25min sample classes for potential students. I've designed many short demos for varying ages and English levels with the other “english tutors”. I've tried explaining flexibility to them and how we won't know what age or level the kids will be, we should be ready for ANYTHING. I tell them that THEY need to speak English themselves and create a comfortable atmosphere for the kids to WANT to learn. I realized after day 3 that my work and aspirations were futile. When the few kids that DID come to the 'public classes' spoke better english than the tutors here, I lost most of my motivation to even try. They hired young college students to come “tutor” English to little kids. I'm not sure what to make of this situation.

This motivated me to go on a job interview at Shanghai Call Center. They're looking for a Corporate Business Trainer. Basically teaching Chinese adults to sound American or extremely fluent in English. This sounded right up my alley, so I jumped at it.
The interview seemed good. They liked me (they always do, but you never know here) so we'll see. I have to wait to hear from them after Chinese National Holiday. If they want me I will RUN, not walk, to that job.
For now I'm trying not to go too crazy with the kids “school”.

The “principal/business owner” told us, in one of our many meetings that she wanted this to be the best school in Shanghai. I smiled at her determination and spirit. She followed that up with “I want us to be better than Disney English!!!!” (one of the top english training programs/company IN THE WORLD) I smiled and thought to myself “of course you do”. My days are made up of settling arguments with the tutors and other workers in the school over whose pronunciation is best/worst. Its interesting that most of them think their fluency is almost native level (they think they sound exactly like me or British) I think its good they have the confidence, but I happily correct them when necessary. Meanwhile,t he paint is still drying, 3 “tutors” have quit and the principal has taken a new approach to the “public classes”. I now sit in the office and work on future lesson plans and quietly sit around looking mysterious and peak the interest of visitors. (I now know how zoo animals feel when being watched)

And thats that...for now.

Love always

Anne with an 'e'

No comments:

Post a Comment