Oct 12, 2010

am in China...

While I've been here almost a week, I've just gotten pass the damn China firewall. Apparently, blogspot was blocked too.Good grief. This did not hinder me from documenting the accounts of my departure/arrival...



Oct. 7th

It starts with the last minute attempt to do everything...I call it simply tying up the loose ends.
I didn't A) realize that the document shredder was not industrial strength, B) that I had so many things to shred and needed perhaps an industrial sized shredder.
After having a relaxed (nothing should have been relaxed about my last day in Chicago and leaving the country) day with Del – him making my last latte, target trip, and cleaning, Bajaj – DMK eating after the search for tapas failed and him giving me a very large and supposedly airline approved hiking bag - I started getting down to the nitty gritty.
Washing my last load of clothes and linens and FITTING EVERYTHING left into the luggage and hiking bag. Futile attempts so I decided that shredding the documents would proved more productive...Turns out no. Devin shows up to lend a much need hand and she miraculously got everything into the luggage...(my suspicions should have started at this point) I then jokingly mentioned that I wish I could just burn all the documents that I needed to shred and call it a day. Devin said seriously “you can”. Thus my last BBQ in Chicago began. Not ideal to burn papers or according to Brandon legal to grill papers (luckily he was there to dispose of the evidence)...you live you learn right. Devin took action and led the charge to burn my papers. She's amazing!!!! We both smelled like campfire. (Total Anne and Diana Barry moment)
I'd gone numb and tired of thinking at this point and ready for this 2 and half month world wind of stuff to do, to be done.
Brandon, Kim, Vikki show up at this point to gather me and my things...
I say bye to Del...the first person I met in Chicago and last person I'd want to leave. No tears, just laughs (how I prefer it)
The get a long gang (Devin, Kim, Brandon, Vikki) and I got to the Chicago Diner one last time. Very entertaining. I could not have asked for a better send off. We head to the airport while listening to Vikki's mixtape “Goodbye, Good Luck and Good Riddance”. I appreciated the fact it started off with “Ain't No Sunshine When She Gone”. Only Vikki can bring that level of cheese to any situation and I not get annoyed with it. A nervous panic starting creeping up the closer we got to the airport. I say my goodbyes to everyone in a most kept together fashion and there I am in line with all my luggage.

Then the story begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment