Oct 13, 2010

No real adventures...

I'm not sure if its jet lag or what, but I keep waking up at 7am. It makes for long days.

...continued departure/arrival

After a crazy check in (having to check all my bags, laptop falling off the ticket counter as I desperately take out what I would need for 19+ hour flight from the hiking bag because it could not come with me on the plane...ugh)
I get on the plane and have the best flight EVER. It was super comfortable. If I wasn't sleeping, I was eating (they'd wake you up to hydrate you and feed you...I love Asiana Air!!!!). Sat next to a Korean husband and wife that were adorable. Got to Seoul and napped and chillax because it was 4AM...
Made a friend on the plane from Seoul to Shanghai, Jolene. She schooled me on getting pass customs and calmed me down a bit, because I was worried (completely unnecessary)

I get to Shanghai and start learning the neighborhood immediately. I've not encountered the cultural shock yet. Perhaps because the area that I'm living looks like Michigan Ave Mag Mile. A freaking flagship Apple Store, flagship Gap, H&M, Uniqlo, etc, etc. Its funny how western this city is...oh well whatever.

I priced and visited a few yoga studios and gyms. Decided and got a gym membership (its across the street and its pretty decent)Got a transportation card (can be used on buses, subway, taxis...so awesome!) and sim card for my phone. Jake, the roomy, has an ayi (like a housekeeper)She cooks really good foods that are vegetarian. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea that an "auntie" coming in to cook and clean for you is cheaper then eating out or doing it yourself...so crazy. (avg $2-$4USD a meal is flippin insane)

This all seems so boring as I write, but whatever.

The few job leads I had where super suspect. I've decided to give myself a few weeks then go hard into looking for a job. I need to get to know this place a lil before diving head first. Especially since I don't know the language (which is top priority now, learning mandarin)

I will feel more at ease once I get my visa switched over.
This weekend Eliz, Jake and myself took a lil trip to the countryside. Jiaxing was a bit of a cultural shock. Had Shanghai been like this, I sadly would not have stayed. Really dirty. We were shown a good time from Jakes friend AJ. Some KTV and good food and 10yr old whiskey. So much fun!!!

That's enough for today. I'm heading to the gym now to work off all the delicious food I've stuffed myself with.

Love,

Anne :)

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that you are doing well and quickly adjusting to your new home. I want an ayi in Chicago to help me out =)

    ReplyDelete