Jul 1, 2011

The local frenchies in the soutth...

Do not like me. I'm sure its in my head, but I can feel the eyes rolling as I desperately form sentences. I am also not being stared at here like in China. (My popularity is down here...black folks everywhere.) I finally decided that the youngest daughter of tiger mom will just go with me when I need a fanyi, translator. She doesn't really speak english, but what little chinese and french I do know, she can understand and translate. We've become a comedy act. We SHOULD be famous.

setting: random boutique

situation: I want to try on shoes size 8, medium dress, 2 shirts
problem: store lady has zero patients with my slow speaking.
Enters Charlotte...

(charlotte in chinese to me) what are you doing?
(me to charlotte in chinese) she doesn't want to help me.She crazy
(charlotte in french to sales lady) excuse me ma'am, will you please assist my friend
(me to charlotte in a chinese french mess of sentences) i want to try this and that in this size
(charlotte to sales lady in french. slow enough for me to hear ever word she said)do you understand, it was very simple. I understood.
(sales lady)yes

I don't think Charlotte knows what the word sarcasm means, but she can put it out there.
Charlotte giggled at me while the sales lady went to gather the things I asked for. I quickly remembered she was 5 years old. Without a doubt, she is her mother's daughter.


No comments:

Post a Comment