Jul 5, 2011

Without fail, I get sick in a new place

I feel like the most inconsiderate houseguest ever. Tiger mom suggested I move back to the main house so that I can be looked after. I told her that I'm fine and its because I've been eating like a pig the past few weeks, so no worries. She laughs and says (channeling her very Chinese side)"oh you silly Americans and your week systems. Almost every American I know that comes to China, France, or anywhere abroad, seems to need time to adjust. But its ok, I will make you plenty of good soup." I can't argue this point and simply say "oui, madam"

I'm not sure that I mentioned that she's been cooking lunch and dinner almost everyday. The ayi and 1 of the drivers were sent back to China to help the family of the "accidental death/murdered" father. So we have one driver and no ayi (maid)now. (until the father, thats currently doing business in Germany comes his 2 kids from a previous wife and house staff) The children clean, wash, organize the house. She has an army.

I've only had energy to lay on the beaches. So we've been to 6 different locations. I might have had too much sun. I have zero energy and alway dizzy. Tiger mom said if it continues "we're going to the doctor". She is very excited to show me how the health system works and where here tax dollars are going. She has a business meeting with some Swiss company in Monaco on Thursday and I told her I would tag along for the Monaco part if I was up to it. She said that the driver can take me around. I laughed at her and said "oh no, thats ok, I'll go old school with public transportation". She looked at me very confused "why would you do that"....
I scratch my head in confusion and said "well I can get to know the city that way". She says ok "driver zhou can follow". I told her "I will have the driver drive me" I saw a look of "of course you will" on her face. She is definitely in control. Oh Type A personalities, I do enjoy letting them think they won something.

I've given the boys lessons. Reading and writing assignments (at least I'm trying to give them 20euro and hours worth)They humor me and then go play. this place has everything so its very hard to leave. I think Tiger mom planned it that way. I could go out and be a tourist, but its really easy to act like a native. Get up, go to the market, go to the backyard and lay by the sea and just let the day pass. Come in for an amazing lunch. Read on the terrace. NAP...YES NAP. Go swimming and layout on the boat. Come in for some 6 or 7 course dinner. Go for a walk around the compound. Watch a light show or whatever the hell is going on along the coast line...

I know I shouldn't but I could get use to this life. Extremely dangerous. I thought the 1st few beaches we went to were nude beaches. No every beach we've visited has naked folks walking around. I'm not getting any ideas, but its interesting how laid back everything and everyone is here.

Ok, I'm going to attempt to help with dinner now.

love, love you all

-anne with an 'e'

No comments:

Post a Comment