Jul 29, 2011

This is how it is

While Jo is looking for various ways for me to enter China I'm caught in an ongoing 'As the World Turns' episode.

I’ve somehow caught a cold and didn’t want to pass up some promenade strolling,crepe eating, art looking in Cannes, St. Tropez, and Nice. So enjoy a few pics of me trying to have a good time with a runny nose and headache.


As promised, Agnes (the first wife of Hairong ex-deceased husband) came for a visit. I understood after she left what “special relationship” meant. Hairong has her working on French documents and running errands. Agnes happily obliges, while giving the boys French lessons. (I crashed a few lessons because I could use them as well) She’s this 65 year old woman that smokes like a chimney, and is very slow talking and patient. I like when I’m able to get different sides and versions of stories. (I apologize in advance. I feel like I’m airing these folks dirty laundry, but whatever. They shouldn’t be so ridiculous)
Agnes told me her about her place, or role I should say, in this family. She said that she still loved her ex-deceased husband (Bernard is his name) and that she was with him the last few weeks he was alive (she told me not to tell Hairong that and that also Bernard’s last wish was for Agnes to ‘fix’ immigration papers so that the Russian and HER 2 kids with him, can stay in France. Hairong would have them kicked out immediately after Bernard died). My ‘share EVERYTHING with me’ sign must have been shining brightly for her, because she did not hold back. She told me that Hairong still loved the “SOB” and how she is still upset to this day that she didn’t ‘win’ Bernard completely. After chasing her for 10 years, he still ran off with the Russian girl (ummm who wouldn’t be) Anges says she’s worried about the boys and how sheltered they are kept. Agnes has 3 boys from Bernard (papa was a rolling stone) they worry about their step brothers Jacques and Pierre with Hairong’s ‘child rearing’ methods. That seems unanimous with everyone that knows the family. She said she would take them if she didn’t have her own family problems (90 year old mother has cut almost everyone out of the will and if she should die in a suspicious way, all of her money goes to charity. The mom lives in a castle afraid of her child in northern France. Agnes “I think she will try to take her money with her”) I think I’ve had enough practice hearing these stories that I can keep a straight face. (in my head I’m thinking, “what did Alexis do now to Crystal”-Dynasty reference if you didn’t know)
Agnes stayed with me in one of the houses I am currently living in on the compound. She tells me that she knows that Hairong doesn’t trust her and thinks she’s a begging snake. (I look at her thinking “well hairong said viper fox, but I guess its about the same”) Anges says that she only keep useful people around her. She says “I use to work in the government so I understand certain paperwork better than most. Hairong knows this well." She tells me to be careful not to upset Hairong, because you don't want to be on her bad side. She leaves and gives me her contact information in Paris and tells me "just in case, you just never know here. don't tell hairong. it will be the end for you"...I smile and thank her and wish her luck with her family. (what the hell else could I say?)

Jo tells me "He who sups with the devil should have a long spoon" after I complain to him about my woes(because he's an old man and likes to speak in proverbs for some reason...
I'm learning about many interesting sides to Hairong. I told her she should write a book...maybe I will help her (quite possibly without her knowing)

I must now go eat some 5 bean and rice soup to get rid of my cold. Hairong made it, cause she knows best...

No comments:

Post a Comment